#48 - 2012 Mustang

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

MostMint

Re: #48 - 2012 Mustang

Post by MostMint »

So this looks like a no paint repair?
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

The gray plastic looks like a replaceable piece, so that should be good, but unfortunately there's a little gouge in the paint just to the driver's side of the license plate. There's also a bunch of small scratches you can't see in the paint. I'm guessing there's damage under the bumper too. Something took the abuse of the impact besides the exhaust system. So far I haven't heard anything from the body shop...

In the meantime I'll keep racking up the miles on the Hyundai.

-BP
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

Is there an exhaust upgrade you can do while the car is down? Perhaps the
insurance company will allow you a Borla exhaust and installation instead of
the factory set up.

GM
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

To be honest, I really haven't heard an aftermarket exhaust for this car that I like. They're all too loud and rappy. The closest is the Flowmaster, but they're all just mufflers so I wouldn't be gaining much at all. If I did one upgrade to this car it would be the gear. I would probably go to a 3.55. The 2.73 sucks with a car that makes very little bottom end torque, and revs to 6800. Everything else being the same, I'm guessing this is probably about .5 in the quarter. I know the 3.2x gear that is an option on this car puts all of them in the 13's.

The stock exhaust is a true dual set up with a crossover and I think it's already 2.25". The motor is only 3.7L anyway, so I don't see too much but added noise there. I know the gear and even a handheld tuner are helpful for power, but I have powertrain warranty up to 100k miles, so I most likely won't be doing much to it. If I do the gear, it will have to be through the dealer.

I got the estimate today for the repairs. It was over $2500. The sway bar links were broken, the whole left side exhaust was toast, and the cosmetic stuff to the rear plastic. Also the bumper shocks were shot too. He said they hoped to be done on the 13th.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Two weeks later, and the car is back, looking like normal again. Now it's time for the snow tires...

I didn't mind the Hyundai that I had as a rental, but after driving that, my car feels awesome. I don't think I'll be trading Mustang for Accent anytime soon.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

With the impending winter upon us in full force, I put the winter tires on yesterday. I don't care for the way the snow tires handle on the dry, but they sure make it go when it's slick. I'm wondering if my tire guy will call me about the second pair of snows I ordered for the front...

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Still no call from my tire guy. I'll just buy them from the guy in town.

Flipped 30k miles today.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

31,8xx miles. Today got an oil & filter change, knocked the loose crud out of my K&N (yeah K&N), topped off the washer fluid, lubed all the hinges, and replaced the cabin air filter. I was at about 5200 miles on this oil change, and the motor used absolutely no oil.

I never did get a call back from my tire guy, but with the weather being not completely terrible, and it's already mid-January, I'm just going to ride out the rest of the season with the snows on the back and all seasons on the front. It's tolerable.

Spring is coming...

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

It was pretty nice (relatively speaking) this weekend, so I washed the car up and heated up the garage for a mid winter wax job. I haven't done it since I bought it, and my other Mustang is still at the shop, so I thought I had space and time, I'd get it done. Saturday I washed it and waxed it up on top, and Sunday I jacked it up and hit all the body seams and any nut and bolt underneath with a spray oil / wax of sorts from Amsoil to help keep the rusting down. It was all sweet and clean until I went to work this morning where it was promptly re-coated with salt. Oh well, it looked good for a day...

-BP
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

At least now you know there was still a sweet ride under there. Looking good.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

It was a fun car. I'll miss it... traded in 4-28-15:

No picture yet - http://www.fallsmotorcity.com/used/Ford ... 47ebf5.htm

It could be yours...

-BP