Garage AC

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Maverick

Garage AC

Post by Maverick »

Put a 15.1K BTU/Hr AC unit in my work garage. There was a perfect place for it above the header over the window.

It has a remote control so no need to climb to change controls.

It weighs 100# so had to come up with some way to raise it. Location for it is about 8' off the floor. A beam made from two 8' 2X6s and an 8' 2X4 provided a 4' extension to the cherry picker boom.

Cut a hole, added a 2X4 on each side of the hole, then another pair of 2X10s for the header above the AC hole, a stubby 2X4 to the top, and installed the outer cabinet.

WXO came over just in time to help insert the AC into the cabinet, and snap a couple of pictures.

Its cooling now. :D
Maverick
Basement Paul

Re: Garage AC

Post by Basement Paul »

Cool! (sorry I couldn't help myself).

-BP
Racin'Jacin

Post by Racin'Jacin »

Actually, it's VERY cool!!!! Nicely done!
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

How big is your garage and how well is this unit doing keeping it cool? I'm thinking about garage AC also but not really wanting to spend $400
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

MostMint wrote:How big is your garage and how well is this unit doing keeping it cool? I'm thinking about garage AC also but not really wanting to spend $400
My garage is un-insulated, exposed studs 15X30' with 10' ceiling and afternoon sun. It hasn't been tested above 90* outside yet, but it will hold at least 15* cooler than outside temps. We're getting into the mid-nineties this week for the first time so it'll get a little harder workout. Its been great so far. 8) I wouldn't want a smaller unit in NC but you might do fine with a smaller unit where you live.
Maverick
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

New insulated, steel garage doors with good seals instead of gaps gives another 2* of cooling. 8) AC now holds 17* lower than outside which should make it comfortable to around 95* outside.

Maverick