Marks Old '63 Nova

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

markss327

Marks Old '63 Nova

Post by markss327 »

For no apparent reason, I sent an email to the owner of my old Nova. Just asking if he still has it, if so, what mods...
Here's his email....

================================================

Hey Mark,

It's good to hear from you. Actually, I'm working on a reassembly. I have attached two photos in its current state. I ordered more parts for it this week but they haven't arrived yet. It's a TCI subframe with a power rack and has been slow going in reassembly. It still has the 406 but with a newly rebuilt TH400 that used to reside behind a big-block Chevelle. After returning from Ohio, my local frame shop got the front end aligned so it wouldn't rub the fenders but on hard launches the car was getting a little squirrlley so I decided to try the TCI. I found a Nova 400 steering wheel for it but not yet installed because it needs some repair and repainting. The stock steering box has been removed, and I'm using a Heidt's steering kit to connect the stock column to the rack and pinion. I purchased a new headliner and sunvisor for it...not yet installed. And, I also found a complete set of body side mouldings but they do need refurbishing before installation.

I receive a lot of compliments on how rust free the car is, and how low in mileage the odometer is. A Mopar collector friend of mine really likes the car and continues to compliment the soundess of the body. I left the dragstrip stickers (TDR Class Winner) on the driver's side rear windows and get a lot of questions. You did a nice job in preservation.

I have no plans to sell the car. Having said that, just know I would sell it back to you for what I have into it. I know what it's like to miss a car. I've been trying to locate two that I've owned in the past. One was a Corvette roadster that has simply disappeared.

BTW, have you seen the Nova that Detroit Speed completed? Here's a link:

http://www.detroitspeed.com/projects/ds ... -pg-1.html

It is a pretty spectacular car. I hope all is well.

Take care, Ed

My reply.....

Ed-

Thank-you the prompt reply. I'm glad to hear you still have her.

She deserves the new front clip. When I ran her at the Drag strip, she was squirrelly, but "she always came back", meaning hang on, and if you got on the brakes on the top end (to avoid breaking out, but still go thru first) THAT was scary. But fun! Someone once told me, "If it doesn't scare ya a little, ya aint going fast enough..." 100mph and in the low 13s was fine for me.

The pics bring back good memories. The yellow plug wires, the tall valve covers.... and yes, if you decide to let her go, I'm interested. (Thanks)

-Mark

Ed's reply back
===============================================

Hi Mark,

When you sent your email this morning I was actually reading emails so I was able to reply quickly. During my tenure as a police officer I had many opportunities to travel in the 100 to 120 mph range...but it never got squirrelly. =:o) I don't mind being a little scared but I want to know that it will straighten out too. :o) I got to thinking after I emailed you that I doubt that I've put 100 miles on the car since the purchase.

Anyway, I still have a lot yet to do to get the Nova on the street again. I may very well contact you later this summer if you're interested in the car. You have first right of refusal. I have a '55 Chevy that is of greater priority and I intend to sell my '63 Nova SS convertible first. I'll let you know.

Catcha later,
Ed

So... by the end of summer....and about $15k....
I'll need a min or two to figure out the pic upload...
Attachments
DSC_9702.JPG
DSC_9702.JPG (854.17 KiB) Viewed 3728 times
DSC_9701.JPG
DSC_9701.JPG (844.17 KiB) Viewed 3728 times
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
Basement Paul

Re: Marks Old '63 Nova

Post by Basement Paul »

It's fun to think about getting the car back, but I'm thinking for $15k, you could buy one that's already done... on the flipside, putting your own car back together with your son might be fun.

Convincing your wife that you need $15k for your old tore apart Nova might be kind of tough to do. :shock:

-BP
markss327

Post by markss327 »

The $15k would be in a finished, turn key, condition.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

The deal just got sweeter.... and all your victories are still displayed proudly.

-BP