1991 MkII GTi 8v

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

VeeDub

Re: 1991 MkII GTi 8v

Post by VeeDub »

It started to develop a miss this week. It would only do it on start up, than it clears up. I guessed fuel system. Drove the vr :) to work instead.
Today decided to take the 8v. The miss was horrible and not clearing up. Aww Sh**, guess I'll have to drive the VR, again.
After work I ordered a fuel filter. Thought I would start on the easy fix, the cap and rotor. Hoping it wasn't fuel related because I wanted to play with the other car. That was it! A little sand paper on the contacts fixed it (temporarily)
I cant figure out why these things (8 valvers) go through distributor caps. Every year I replace a set. At least its cheap and easy.
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Plug gaps too wide?
Maverick
VeeDub

Post by VeeDub »

Maverick wrote:Plug gaps too wide?
I dont think so. I will check them though when I put on the new cap and rotor this week. Thanks, I never thought of that.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Is your distributor shaft loose?

-BP
VeeDub

Post by VeeDub »

The distributor is good. A New Bosch went in when I put on the head. I also had that thought years ago but the bushing in the old one were good.
Supposedly the bushings outlast the motor. I replaced mine because the Hall sender went bad. Hall senders have been NLA for a while (they were only $30)
Distributor is 230ish- guess thats why they made that change :roll: