1966 Corvette project - Part 2

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

oldvettedad

1966 Corvette project - Part 2

Post by oldvettedad »

Well, now that i finally finished my Vette and got it back on the road, I am changing it around for next year. The changes will be:
a 383 motor
a 5 speed
air conditioning
power steering
quieter exhaust
updated sound system (since I might be able to hear it)

Currently I am getting a Blueprint Engines 383 with aluminum heads, hydraulic roller cam. This is already ordered. The HP will vary depending on intake and carb. Its speced as 430 hp, 450 ft/lbs tq.

Looking at T-5 for the 5 speed. Lots and lots of research going on here. I definitely would NOT go for a TKO 500 or 600.. The new Keisler RS 500 or 600 (made from the T-45) look promising, but they have a long lead time and quit expensive. A T-5 from a V8 Camaro or Firebird should be acheaper alternative. And it should fit easier even though there will be some fab needed.

I'll keep you up to date as I make progress or decisions.
Maverick

Re: 1966 Corvette project - Part 2

Post by Maverick »

Well, now that i finally finished my Vette and got it back on the road, I am changing it around for next year
Ain't it great how we "finish" these cars. :lol:
Maverick
oldvettedad

Post by oldvettedad »

I just hope I get it all done in a few months. I'm doing most of the technical research and parts chasing. I'll probably have the install done over at the Corvette Shop. The car is over there now waiting for some repaint, where flaws showed up. Basically the front end will be repainted. So, I figured, thats a good time to tear it apart. Once i get a 5 speed there will be some more fab work needed. Luckily, there enough guys on tthe Corvette forum who have done this swap that its pretty clear what has to be done. Just t hat each one has something that is particular to that car. So I expect a little trial and error. Where to store the 327 is a question I haven't answered. Since it is a numbers matching motor I am reluctant to sell it, or use it some other way.
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

You going to get a trip down the 1/4 mile or chassis dyno with the current setup so you can measure the gain? Should be a big increase. 8)

Guess the Corvette rear end is already planted pretty well but will you do anything to improve traction?
Maverick
oldvettedad

Post by oldvettedad »

No plans to dyno the current setup or the new one. But I might with the new setup to get an idea where the peak torque is. The IRS on the Corvettes are notoriously weak. They are the weak link. I don't mind putting power down once its moving, but dumping the clutch from a standstill with a lot of torque could be disastrous on the half shafts. I don't know what HP it will end up with. They claim 430 HP with an unnamed aluminum dual plane manifold, an Edelbrock 750 CFM carb, and 2 inch (I think) headers. I'll probably use either my stock intake (which was good intake in 1966) or an Edelbrock performer with a 750 Holley. I don't know yet if I will use exhaust manifolds or go for headers. So I don't know how much HP I will lose, and I will be driving an AC compressor and a power steering pump. And, can I believe their claims to begin with? If it runs pretty good, i might try a test and Tune, but I'd have to come out easy. I would hope it could run 13s even that way. But?????
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I've read a little bit about the T5 swap, enough to be mildly interested. Maybe I'll try to find the post where a guy showed just a simple little fab-job for the shifter, to get the angle corrected (those T5's are mounted at some sort of twist) and that other than that and maybe some small work for the crossmember mount. It looked reasonably straightforward.

ha, I was just reading through one of the threads and found where you posted. Seems like the 3 major issues are shifter, trans-mount, and clutch linkage, but none of it looks awful to do. But I'm not touching dad's car for a few years. 3.36 is a nice cruising gear.

-Dave
oldvettedad

Post by oldvettedad »

It is amazing how much info there is on some of the forums. I agree, enough guys have put T-5's in C2 Vettes that it shouldn't be rocket science. The driveshaft has to be shortened too, a couple inches. I've seen the bellhousings and they look funny with the tranny mounting face being 17 degrees counterclockwise. But, if you use a "standard" bell, then the rear mount is 17 degrees off. I like all of the different approaches that have been tried. The only question is one of strength, since the T-5 was during the low HP days. In my research it looks like even the optional L98 350 motor for the IROC Z was only available with an automatic. But I think it will work for me. I'll keep the banzai starts to the race car :lol:

BTW, my aluminum heads on the 383 I am getting are standard chevy. They shouls take a Performer manifold, or maybe even my 327 manifold. Hood clearance may be a minimal problem.
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

While you're correct that it was never offered behind a TPI 350, C2 Vettes are lighter than 3rd gen Camaros, and you're not gonna be dumping the clutch -- I don't think you'll have any real issues relating to strength. Besides, you probably also haven't seen too many "I swapped in a T5 and broke it 3 months later" kind of posts.

-Dave