LT1 rebuild

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

ttamrettus

LT1 rebuild

Post by ttamrettus »

Does anyone have any recommendations for machine work/inspection on my short block? Check block, check rods, check pistons, check crank, turn crank, line bore mains, install new cam bearings, maybe balance the assembly.

Gardner? Hutter's? ? ? ? ? ?

Do I need the flywheel for the assembly balance? If I do then I need to get one as I don't have one for this engine.
Matt Sutter
wxo

Re: LT1 rebuild

Post by wxo »

Hey Matt. Before you get too involved in rebuilding an LT1, are you aware of the problems with the LT1 Opti-Spark ignition system? If not I would suggest reading up on it. From what I can remember, the reports were that they can be unreliable and expensive to replace. There are aftermarket guys providing kits to convert them to LS ignitions but they, too, are expensive, I believe.
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

I've seen the optispark threads. If treated right it should last about 100k, I think new ones a couple hundred bucks. I'm not to worried about it but thanks for the heads up.
Matt Sutter
Racin'Jacin

Post by Racin'Jacin »

Wow this is a loaded topic!!

Are we talking a budget street motor or a race motor. Of course I race street motors so maybe keep that in mind when I give advice :-0

Any street motor I have ever built - we inspected the mains and if they were wearing evenly then no align boring/honing was done. They were still checked with plasti gage and of course with no rods attached we'd torque everything down and give 'em a spin - if the cranks rotated freely - we put a check mark in that box and called it good.

We typically would check everything first - I see no reason to resize rods if they are in spec - while others do it as a matter of course. Please note I say "in spec" we definitely check them. The ones in my digger right now are stockers with ARP bolts - not resized, but thoroughly checked!

I've never delt with Gardener but after seeing the experience one of the fellas had with him - there's no way I'd go there. I think the problem there is quality control. It's not that they aren't up to the task - it's more of a matter if they are being careful on your particular parts.

My one buddy has some unbelieveable stories about one particular place while another swears by them! I guess the big problem is they all have their horror stories...

Personally I'm leaning towards Hutter for my next block.

YMMV
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

We're talking street engine. All the mains are spun so I basically want it given the once over. I can also pretty much guarantee you that all the journals need turned.
Matt Sutter
markss327

Post by markss327 »

ttamrettus wrote: All the mains are spun....
Got any pics of the carnage???? :twisted:

Engine work:
I've used Commercial Engine Rebuilding in Willowick, off Vine.
1433 E 328th St Eastlake,OH 44095 (440) 946-5078
He's done several blocks and head work, for me. I'd go there again.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

There is a pick of the wost main in the Roadmaster thread.
Matt Sutter
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I've always been happy with the advice and work that I've gotten from Michael's Racing Engines in Macedonia. I've had at least 3-4 blocks done there.

-Dave