1966 Corvette project, will I finish before I die?

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

oldvettedad

Re: 1966 Corvette project, will I finish before I die?

Post by oldvettedad »

2010 promised to be the end of the long journey. I have few pictures of 2010. Here are two that I do have. Two weeks after bringing the finished motor and the rest of the drive train to the Corvette Shop, the motor was in and being readied.

Finally, reunited at last.

The spring of 2010 was spent picking a cloor to paint the car. I spent many days looking through books of new car colors. I was looking for something similar to the dark green metallic color it had been in the 70's. I scoured every new car dealer in 35 miles looking to see what the new colors looked like in person. There were no new greens that grabbed me. Then I thought, hmm, the car was originally Milano Maroon. I always liked that color, so I changed the search to look for a modern maroon that would be a grabber. Once again, through the paint chip books and back to the car lots. It was frustrating, some had too much orange and looked weird in direct sunlight. Some too much blue and would lokk purple in subdued light. It turned out what I liked best was basically candy apple red
That one is a custom paint, Hous of Kolor. Finally I found what I wanted on a 2010 Corvette. It was called Crystal red Metallic Tintcoat. Paul agreed the color was perfect, but its a 3 stage paint and I needed to stay with a 2 stage so it could be repaired if ever necessary. Pau believed he could find a 2 stage that simulated the color. So that was where we were. there were lots of pictures taken of the car during the bodywork and piming, but alas, they were lost when Paul's computer did a death spiral on its hard drive.

At this point I have to give my apologies to all you Tiresmokers. By now you can tell that I did not end up finishing the car the way I had intended. I used a professional for body paint and interior. I can live with that, there is a limit to how much I will attempt in araes I am not experienced. And paint and full interior is beyond my capability, so having it professionally done does sit ok with me. But, I guess i "lazied out" at the end. It was just too appealing, and would get done so much sooner, if I let him do the reassembly that was still left to do. So, in the race to finish line, i became a spectator.

End of 2010.
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

We want to see it on the road! If you have the means to pay someone by all means go for it :)
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
oldvettedad

Post by oldvettedad »

In February of 2011, Paul Comeau from the Corvette Shop called and said the car is just about ready for paint next week. I said, "Oh, what color are you planning on painting it?" After he stopped laughing, he told me I had to pick a color. i reminded him we were stuck in that the color i wanted was a 3 stage. So I went over so we coiuld find something similar. The car was primered and was gettig final sanding before paint.

I apologize for the blurriness of these pix. I took them with my phone.

I had color chips of the Crystal Red Metallic and we laboriously went through books trying to find something close that was a 2 stage. It was fruitless. We could find some close, but it wasn't what I wanted. After a while paul said that he knew some 3 stage paints were being reformulated into 2 stage. So he started calling distributors and manufacturer's reps to find out if this one was redone in a 2 stage. Then finally, success. Sikkens had Crystal Red Metallic reformulated. Paul said he would get a pint and spray a few test panels, if it was ok then we woiuld go ahead. he also mentioned that Sikkens paint is ALWAYS the most expensive. :(
Acouple of days later he had done up some taillight panels for me to see. Perfect! Just what i wanted.
About three days later, he called and said come on down i finished spraying last night. These next pictures were my first look, still in the booth, the morning after it was painted.

Even in this state, with some flaws that needed to be sanded and dust removed it looked great. I was startint to get anxious now. I knew I would be driving it this spring.

In the beginning of March it was sanded and buffed out and he was sprayong the interior trim. This is how it looked on Marh 4

The seats were already rebuilt and re covered waiting to be installed

The hood really good

So soon the interior would be installed and all the trim would be installed. things were moving quickly now.

About 3 weeks later Paul called and said it was almost finished. I should bring over the side exhaust, the rocker panels and yhe spare tire carrier so he could finish it. I brought thme over and this is how it looked,

I now realized this was coming out far better than I ever had hoped for.
This wass March 22, 2011. My Corvette was almost complete again. I knew I was now within weeks of having it back on the road. And this car was far better than I ever imagined I would have.

Stay tuned because the next post will show it completed and driving. Its been quite a journey :D :D :D
oldvettedad

Post by oldvettedad »

Today is Saturday April 9. It's my body's birthday :( My brain stopped having birthdays around age 25 :lol:
So I figured this is a good time to get to the end of this saga, and the start of a new journey. In March 2011 the car was basically complete.
I insured the car got license plates and on March 31 took the plates over to the Corvette Shop. And there it was sitting and looking beautiful.

We still needed the outside mirror which had been ordered. We needed a front license plate bar, found that out when we tried to mount the front license. And I was waiting to get a solenoid controlled valve to install in the fuel line to create a fuel shutoof.

But it was now insured and registered.
This is how it looked that morning
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9WrwPpLmdM[/youtube]

And then I took it for its first drive. If you thi k I am a little bit happy during this drive, RIGHT :!:
The nexxt 2 videos are the first Drive
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHVCMPwC9c0[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDs0qQ-OKNg[/youtube]

Disregard the old bald guy in the videos. I don't know how he got in m ycar :?: :lol:

I got the valve for the fuel shutoff a couple of days later. Paul installed it with a hidden toggle switch (damn I hope I can remember where it is :shock: ) And on April 7 I picked it up. I did it the right way. I drove it home! That was the best 20 miles I have driven in years. The memories all came back. What a blast to drive! I love it.

These next pictures aren't too good, a little dark when i took them. But here it is finally home.

I don't want sound like I'm bragging, but the driver I built looks like a show car. But I have driven it each day so far. And I LOVE IT :lol:
Here is a view into the engine bay.

This ends the story, But I'm sure I wiill update this along the way.

I am getting addicted to the tiresmoke forum. thanks guys for letting me tell my story.

Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Its a great story!! Beautiful car. And a DRIVER!! Gotta love a beautiful, driven car. Congratulations on a fine job. Hope to see it in person some day. Jim
Maverick
wxo

Post by wxo »

What a great story and a great ending!! I feel like I was there in the cockpit with you on that first drive. I believe we all have experienced that first drive feeling and your photos and videos bring it all back. Thanks for having us along.
-Walt
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Very few things in life can match the total emotional experience of that first drive.
Thanks for sharing it. It's also cool that your driving it. Congradulations!
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I LOVE the way that car turned out! I love the sidepipes, I love the slots, and I love the paint color! The interior turned out great too. After looking at this car and your whole collection, I love your taste in vehicles.

I'm glad you posted this whole thing. It's been great reading and I love the pictures. The first drive is awesome too. I'm glad you weren't afraid to get on the throttle too. It really makes it all worth it.

-BP
oldvettedad

Post by oldvettedad »

Guys,
Thanks for all the Kudos :wink:
By the way I still haven't really mashed it yet, but it climbs to 5 grand real quick going through the gears. But I'm not through yet. I decided I need to get it in the air and go over every nut and bolt in the suspension and steering. I want to retorque everything now that it as at proper weight and attitude and has been driven 50 miles. Just something I need to do before I really get on it. And i am gonna fet on it. It sounds too good not to hear it at WOT. :D :D
Every place I take it, heads turn and guys start talking about cars they used to have. Think I'll take it to the big show in rhinebeck New York in May. But it will be DRIVEN :!:
oldvettedad

Post by oldvettedad »

Today I finally got the chance to get the Vette up on the lift. Both things i was concerned with were in need of attention. I wanted to make sure the control arm bushings and the sway bar were torqued properly. And i wanted to see what havoc 3 years in a body shop wreaked on the undercarriage. First, the items needing torqueing, still did. So I got that done first. Next I made sure all cotter pins were bent properly. I had not bent them in case more suspensionn or steering work was necessary. So i fixed all of them. The havoc of the body shop is actually worse than these pictures show.

After a couple of hours with Simple Green and good old soapy water it was more presentable. I don't care if its a little dirty. it is a driver, but I would prefer road grime to this caked on bondo dust.

That one is a little blurry, but note that the bellhousing is now chevy orange (which is correct) even though I was going to leave it natural aluminum.
Its a lot better now. But you can't get to all the spots when it is completely assembled.
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Is Bondo dust the only problem? First picture looks like some fiberglass was broken by lifting the car. Surely, a Corvette shop wouldn't do that ........ woutd they?
Maverick
oldvettedad

Post by oldvettedad »

No, nothing was broken. That is actually a reinforcement on the fiberglass floor and cacked on bondo dust all around it. The dust was caked on any place there was an indentation or excrusion. The stuff is really tough to get off. you have to go over it several times and it still sometime leaves a film. I think I may try a trick I read about a while back on an easy way to keep road grime off the bottom. You get one of those rotating sprinklers. They usually have a couple of wheels on them. You put it under the car at one end, turn on the water, and slowly pull it out from the other end. :)
Racin'Jacin

Post by Racin'Jacin »

Looks very VERY NICE!!!
oldvettedad

Post by oldvettedad »

I have about 125 miles on it now. I have been driving less frequently than planned because the detonation was becoming a real concern. That seems to be solved now. I started hearing valve train noise too. So acouple of nights ago my buddy Pat Hennebery was over and we wemt through the valve train. Number 5 intake was very loose. That was reset and the noise went away. That will bear watchng as i drive. The motor still has the original cam with the lifters, pushrods and rockers that were in it. Hopefully this is not the start of a constant problem.
Tomorrow is the Rhinebeck car show. I'm taking the Vette. It will be its "debut". I actually haven't been to any cruises yet because it has been cold an rainy this month. Oh, and racing season started and I had to get the Chevy II ready. Anyway, I'll update after Rhinebeck with pictures (if I rememebr to take my camera). The Rhine beck show is getting quite large. It is now 2 days. Saturday is for Hot Rods, Modifieds and Customs. Sunday for Antiques and Stock autos. Large flea market, lots of vendors, big car corral. They epect 800 cars Saturday, 1000 on Sunday.
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Are you in with the Saturday Hot Rods or the Sunday Classics?
What class were you in and then show us a picture of your award. :)
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!