1966 Corvette project, will I finish before I die?

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

oldvettedad

Re: 1966 Corvette project, will I finish before I die?

Post by oldvettedad »

That is a good price. I still have my original spinner hub caps, but now they are badly pitted and have rust. It would cost more than $225 to restore them. But I doubt i'll ever put hub caps back on. Who ever buys the car from my estate can do what bthey want :lol:
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Its good to never intend to see your car. That way you don't have to be concerned about getting back what you put into it. :mrgreen:
Maverick
oldvettedad

Post by oldvettedad »

very true. I have found its better to take a long time to finish your car, then keep it for a long time. Why? Because then I amortize the expense over a long enough period to make it seem not so much :roll:

BTW, I've been cleaning out my house and garage and was surprised to find in my garage about half of an old Corvette in parts. All the parts not useable or not worth restoring. I forgot I took all those old rusty parts an "saved" them in my garage! :shock:
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

I listed a bunch of usable parts on the Maverick forum hoping to sell them but mostly not wanting to free up space and not scrap them. Things like the bench seat in good condition with original Sprint upholstery and the exhaust manifolds and 14" wheels that are pretty hard to find. Since I wouldn't ship them and there aren't a lot of Maverick/Comet owners close by nothing sold. Listed them as free and a guy came from the other side of Charlotte and took it all. Better than scraping the stuff.

Did manage to sell the original 302 and C4 transmission to a guy in Eastern NC.
Maverick
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

You sold the original # matching block? :shock:
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

I was keeping it for a while but I never found anyone that cares about matching numbers in a Maverick. Probably because it was sold as an economy car with no performance options like 4 barrel, 4 speed, limited slip or any gears steeper than 3.00 in the rear. Very few, maybe one or two, restored for strict originality. Sprint owners, more than others, do maintain the original appearance theme but performance and technology improvements trump originality. They make fun hot rods. 8)
Maverick
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

Just found this one....
http://cleveland.craigslist.org/pts/2745865012.html
---- or ----
http://cleveland.craigslist.org/pts/2745869361.html

I assume you probably don't need these, but I know how hard
it is to find old car parts when you need them....

GM
oldvettedad

Post by oldvettedad »

I don't need them. With so many Corvette parts now being reproduced the market for a lot of used parts is really down. But there are some parts where the repro's are not high quality and then original used are still in demand. I reused my rear bumpers because the new repro's from China were like tin. So even though I had a few minor dents they were far better than the repro's.