1998 Ford F-250 aka #42

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Basement Paul

1998 Ford F-250 aka #42

Post by Basement Paul »

Since we're keeping track, this is the 42nd vehicle I've owned. It's in my garage right now:

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/2118551181.html

More info to come...

Anybody interested in a good running Saturn?

-BP
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Re: 1998 Ford F-250 aka #42

Post by TireSmoker »

So why go from a fuel-efficient Saturn to a beastly F-two-fiddy 2WD, in the middle of winter? You already got rid of the T/A, so no tow vehicle needed...
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

He always wanted to race in The "Big" Truck Eliminator on Wednesday night grudge racing.
We know it can haul, but what will it turn?
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

TireSmoker wrote:So why go from a fuel-efficient Saturn to a beastly F-two-fiddy 2WD, in the middle of winter? You already got rid of the T/A, so no tow vehicle needed...
1. Had the Saturn too long
2. only way to help Mostmint Racing is tow vehicle
3. dogs love trucks :lol:
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Since nobody here will squeal on me, a co worker and I are starting up a small biz similar to what I do at work. It will evolve over the next year or so, and we'll need something with some pulling / towing capacity in the meantime.

I really doubt this thing will make it to the track. If I would guess, it might crack into the 16's, but not by much. The 5.4 makes 235 hp and 330 lb ft. Believe it or not, it weighs 4600 lbs, even in 2wd trim.

Mostmint, it's funny you say that about the dog, as I thought the exact same thing this morning... Lexi will love it, but she won't be able to get in it without help. Dogs, love, trucks.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Since I've been too busy working on the truck to post, I'll start with some before pictures and add more as the week goes on and the project continues. I can tell you that I've been very busy working the last two weekends and ALL last week in the evenings in the garage trying to get this truck right. I've had a bunch of weekend help from 32V also and we've turned this seemingly plain work truck into a pretty nice piece that even my wife likes. Heck she even helped me one night last week.

Here's the before shots:

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Since the front bumper was ugly and had a rust hole in it, I figured it was time for an upgrade. The local pull-a-part yielded a chrome bumper for something less than $30. You can see 32v puttin' the polish to it, and he also cleaned the rear chrome (already on there). I also painted the bumper hitch portion of the rear bumper in Rust Oleum flat black.

The wheels were all kind of ugly so I started with a coat of Rust Oleum primer (brushed on), and after 24 hrs of drying, applied a coat of aluminum colored Rust Oleum, and let it rest another 24 hours for a second coat. They turned out really well.

More to come...

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

So the next task at hand was to fix the HOLE in the roof... to my surprise I found a quarter size hole in the roof when I went to wax it. This explains the drooping headliner. I cut off a bumper bolt and sandwiched some big washers and black RTV to seal up the hole.

Now to the headliner. I took a trip to Joann Fabrics and they actually have a roll of "headliner" material there. So I bought two yards and a can of adhesive and 32V and I took a shot at redoing it ourselves (I've never done one before).
32V ground all the old foam off the fiberglass roof panel with a wire wheel on a drill. Then we took a trip to the basement to stick the new material down. After some spraying of glue and some material trimming, the new headliner turned out great and looks like new. So for $50, it looks like a $200 job.

More to come...

-BP

Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Nice work!!
Maverick
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

So the bedliner that came with the truck was in BAD shape. So 32V and I removed it from the truck. Under the old liner was a couple inches of mud, bolts, rocks, washers, and plastic bits. So I spend 15 minutes or so washing it out and it appears to be in very solid shape. The bed itself is pushed down from hauling heavy stuff, but no rust issues to speak of. I got a "new" bedliner that is in very nice shape from the local pull a part (it required me to remove several inches of ice to make sure it was nice) for only $27. I'll post pictures of the new liner later. Here's some shots of it removed and destroyed. Sometime in the short future I'll have to drill and tap out the holes for the tie downs in all four corners as basically all the bolts broke off when I removed them from my truck.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

After the first tank of gas, I came up about 14mpg... This included about an hour of idling in the driveway, a fuel filter change, and about 20 miles of driving in HEAVY snow. I'm guessing 16mpg for normal conditions, and once warmer temps roll around, about 18mpg.
I also just fixed a vacuum leak by replacing the egr solenoid valve, and replacing the MAF sensor which made it run significantly better under WOT and should also take care of the check engine light for good.

Also, here's the "new" bedliner.

This past weekend 32V and I replaced the old gray grill with a "new" chrome one. We also mounted the front license plate bracket. More when the weather breaks and I can wash it again.

-BP
markss327

Post by markss327 »

I think we can guess it's intended use. Good Idea. Just make sure it's all insured.
What's the gear? and .... how are the rear springs?

I kinda thinks a Super Duty - looks better.... :mrgreen:
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

It has a 3.73 rear axle and an open diff. Turns out, after my first long drive, I saw a puddle on the floor under the rear end cover. Assuming it was a bad gasket, I pulled it all apart, cleaned it up and resealed everything. Much to my chagrin, after the next long trip, it was leaking again all over the floor, this time seeing that the leak was not coming from the gasket area. I looked carefully this time to find a small pin hole in the top part of the cover. I figured this was the case since it only leaked after driving for some time. So I made a mad dash to the pull a part in the S-10 (it was sunny out) and found a decent cover off an older F250. How can you go wrong for less than $9?

The suspension seems to be in very good shape. The right front shock is leaking, but I bought new ones and have to put them in still. Much of the front end seems to be rebuilt and is very tight. This is a light duty F250, so it's an F-150 in a lot of ways, but has the HD drivetrain with the bigger Dana rearend, heavier rear springs (and fronts I guess too), tranny cooler, and oil cooler too. The truck should carry about 2500 lbs without too much trouble and towing I think is around 9000 lbs off the hitch.

Seems that I have the check engine light problem resolved too which makes me happy. :D

-BP
Racin'Jacin

Post by Racin'Jacin »

Lookin' good Paul! You're gettin' that baby whipped into shape fast!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Thanks Jacin, I love bringing a vehicle back to life from minor shambles. Hopefully there isn't much more though, as I need to get back to my rearend project.

I just filled up last night. No small feat as it took 26.5 gallons. Things are getting better though as I got over 17 mpg. That should get better as the weather gets warmer and I switch over to synthetic oil. When I buy tires, I'm going to put aluminum wheels on it too which should make a difference. Those steelies weigh a ton! With impending $4+ gas prices coming, I'd like to get this thing up to about 20mpg.

-BP