cheap car racing

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

MostMint

Re: cheap car racing

Post by MostMint »

I'll take it and we'll do our best to figure out a way to get it here. Appreciate your help!

The head is the most important part.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Picked up the head, block, and crank today. The aluminum block and head are amazingly light and probably could be shipped for about $50 each if you need one sooner than when a free transport opportunity comes along.

Haven't looked closely at the stuff but the crank bearings didn't have any obvious scoring.
Maverick
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

That head will be even lighter once Andy has his way with it! :-)
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Did a little shopping today - rear disc setup, two left side hubs, one right side hub, a halfshaft and right side inspection cover:

Tiresmoker and Fred32V were along to help - many thanks. It was a perfect day for junkyard work - sunny and mid 60's.

We also learned that the newer hub is a slightly larger diameter though the knuckle part is identical. The halfshaft and one hub is from a 97, everything else is 92. We did verify the other end of the halfshaft are interchangeable.
-BP[/quote]
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Yep, we partied at Pull A Part.

Silver car
ImageImageImage

GrreenBlue car
ImageImageImage

If you don't have a SawsAll, a Hack saw works just fine.
Great fun, maybe not as much fun as TRP or Nelson, but very close. Grins!
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Just saw the LeMons schedule, and they are running a 24 hr race @ Mid-Ohio on Oct 27-28. No other details are known right now.

-Dave
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Should cut down on the demand for the Nelson race. I know you like Mid-Ohio. Are you thinking serious about this?
-BP[/quote]
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

MostMint wrote:Should cut down on the demand for the Nelson race. I know you like Mid-Ohio. Are you thinking serious about this?
It's a long way off and a lot could happen, but I think it'd be awesome. The only bad part is that its so late in October, it really makes the weather iffy. If we had to choose between running Mid-Ohio or Nelson, I'd choose Mid-Ohio. I just love that place and it'd be really cool to run in a race there.

-Dave
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Put down the deposit for the 2012 Nelson Ledges race. Mark your calendars for Oct 6-7.

Also had the chance to cut open the oil filter that was on the car during the race and there was practically nothing in it. I was happy to see that.

Last weekend I drained the water and put in antifreeze.

Treasure trove of Saturn info here: http://evilplastic.com/ We can run HP blue pads from a Mitsubishi, some discussion on suspension mods, you can use a 93 SC2 engine and 93 PCM without changing the wiring harness - just have to trim the plastic around the PCM connection.

Saturn engine part interchange: http://www.saturnwiki.net/index.php/Swap_Guide

Specially ground cams: http://streetdesignauto.net/

Found these tidbits on saturnfans.com

Oh, almost forgot. You can swap in the much larger throttle body from a DOHC Geo Storm or Isuzu Impulse without much work (just need to make a simple bracket and re-route one or two vacuum lines). You also need longer bolts, but it will bolt up to the factory holes, and the TPS and IAC are compatible (some models you need to change one of the plugs; not sure which--you don't for a '95, though, at least).

You can replace the exhaust cam with another intake cam (180 degrees off) for slightly higher duration (requires grinding off a tab in the head).

Search for "deebs build" for some more tips on swapping in some parts from other models for a pretty decent gain. Here is what I found - not in depth but it is something:

Here is an email I got From Mr Deebs, on what his expereince in the perfect combination of parts are. Include with this the 92 header.

Jason,
Here's our basic recipe that has worked very well. Sorry for the delay..
any block will work, 99+ are stiffer
99 rods and pistons, pre-99 crank
01+ lower block brace to stiffen things up
valves are typically 91-93 flat faced version and use 98 valve springs due to increased stiffness
head isn't as important, stay away from 91 and 99+ stuff
This basic combination netted us 133 horsepower at the wheels, which
translates to 145+ at the crank and the motor was a screamer.. Great for track and we ran a 14.7 quarter mile time at 95 or so mph with TONS of wheelspin
Hopefully this helps.

SixthSphere.com

http://www.saturnforum.com/forum/

www.saturnfans.com
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

There have been some updates since the last post here.

I acquired a spare head, that came along with a block, intake, injectors, and several other spare parts.
I acquired a spare rear section, starter, coil packs, another couple spare knuckles, and some springs and struts.

Most recently I acquired a couple sub frames – one from BP's car and one from another car. Both of these have good lower control arms and sway bars. BP's old frame is about 80% good so maybe we can weld it back together if we want a spare subframe.

Have not forgotten about the spare engine from Maverick still coming.

BP's frame is on the bottom so can't see the damage too well in this pic:
-BP[/quote]
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Have not forgotten about the spare engine from Maverick still coming.
I have the block, head and crank. Do you want everything? No problem for me to scrap anything you don't want.
Maverick
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

I'll take it all. No pistons or rods then? Do we know what year the engine is - or at least the year of the "donor" car?
-BP[/quote]
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

MostMint wrote:I'll take it all. No pistons or rods then? Do we know what year the engine is - or at least the year of the "donor" car?
Have the block with no main caps, head, intake, carb, cams, crank, one piston/rod with no rod cap, and cam/valve cover. Just grabbed what hadn't been throw out already.

Never knew what year it was.
Maverick
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Disassembled the two donor front sub-frames last night. Took off the lower control arms and sway bars. The subframe metal is rather malleable so it seems likely the supports that hold the control arm might take damage if we get hit in the wheel. I'll have to prepare for that contingency.

Last week I completed disassembly of the rear brake setups.

I have the rear suspension setup to disassemble next. Then time to start work on converting the car over to rear disc brakes.
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Finally got to the business of ordering the brake lines today. Set of four stainless coming for $55 shipped. going to start acquiring the rest of the needed parts. Need e-brake cables, rotors and pads.

Going to try and get the rear disc setup ready for the May 17 test session.
-BP[/quote]