TRP 2016-09-14

Information about upcoming races, swap meets & shows

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

TireSmoker
Site Admin

TRP 2016-09-14

Post by TireSmoker »

Had a last minute opportunity to head out to the track last night, I left work a little early, got loaded up, and headed out. This was the first time I've been back to Thompson since swapping torque converters back in July. I had made a couple passes with the new converter at Quaker City, but the air was awful, I had never run there before, and I left the exhaust closed that night, so wasn't really a fair comparison, but 12.90 @ 102 was a little disappointing, even though though the new converter is much nicer on the street.

So with the good air last night, I headed out to TRP, bolted up the slicks, uncorked the exhaust and went 12.55 @ 106. 2nd time run netted a 12.62 with a little bit of spin.

Round 1 -- Dialed 12.60, other guy red-lighted.
Round 2 -- Dialed 12.60, ran 12.62 @ 96mph on the brakes.

At this point, there are only 3 cars left in Animal, so there's gonna be a bye-run into the final. We draw cards for the bye and I pulled a King! BOTH OTHER GUYS PULLED ACES. Are you kidding me?!?!

Round 3 (semifinal) -- Dialed 12.52, ran 12.54 but terrible reaction time (.24!) cost me the win.

Another night where I went a couple rounds and no issues with the car! I met another Megasquirt guy who saw me looking at my datalogs and recognized the software. He has a Gen3 Hemi w/turbo in a Duster. Didn't have his car there, but he had some useful pointers. Another guy there, had a nice, clean single turbo setup (carb'd) on a 327 in a '65 GTO. He was going 12.0s @ 116.

-Dave
Basement Paul

Re: TRP 2016-09-14

Post by Basement Paul »

I know the guy with the white LeMans (GTO). He's a nice guy. His summer driver is a 2010ish V8 Mustang and lives in Lake County somewhere. Glad to see he's getting the kinks worked out.

Going to the Semi's is sweet. Bummer about the Aces!! I was really thinking about going out last night. Seemed like a nice night for a walk... What were your 60' times at TRP?

-BP
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Re: TRP 2016-09-14

Post by TireSmoker »

Yeah the guy with the Turbo LeMans used to have a green older Mustang and then some sort of Ford pickup.. I've talked with him many times over the years. I recognized him at first, but couldnt remember his name (Brian).. He always had Ford stuff, so seeing him with a chevy-powered Pontiac was out-of-context.. :-)

60fts varied a little bit.. 1.69, 1.77 (spin), 1.72, 1.75, 1.75 Back in October '15, I had several 1.6s with the other converter. At whatever point I get the lockup working, I may swap the other converter back in.

-Dave