TRP, Ford v. GM Aug 2

Information about upcoming races, swap meets & shows

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

TireSmoker
Site Admin

TRP, Ford v. GM Aug 2

Post by TireSmoker »

Anyone going to TRP this sunday for Ford v. GM? I'm planning on being there.

-Dave
Basement Paul

Re: TRP, Ford v. GM Aug 2

Post by Basement Paul »

I've done well at this race in the past. I might show up in something.

-BP
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

I'll be there defending GM's honor. :wink:
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Here we were at the Ford vs Chevy vs Mopar event at TRP.
I watched most of the action, when I dialed 16.45 with the Silverado,
cut an.07 lite but ran 16.21 for a double breakout loss.
'Smoke had great numbers and was going through the field but
kept losing his fan belt causing him to withdraw allowing someone
else to advance to race BP in the Semi final round. SAD.

ImageImage

Different car, same result. This was his third in a row. Way to go BP!!!

Never get tired of TRP. Alway great fun.
Fred32v
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Yeah, it was a bummer for TireSmoker and the belt. I'll let him tell the real story there, but it would have been more fun to meet him in the finals.

I didn't actually win three in a row, but I think the last three I attended. I have trophies from '10, '13, and now '15 for this race, and a runner up back in '04. I didn't race it last year as I'm sure I was working on this car.

It was my lights that got me the wins all day. Two guys redlighted against me (because I'm so intimidating) but I cut two .03 lights and one .00 green. I was on the brakes for every pass that the competition went green. First round was a breakout too.

So I have another big trophy, more dyno time (I think I lost the last certificate), and $50 in my pocket. Five rounds with no bye runs. Even though the car isn't as fast as I'd like it to be, it is a good bracket car. I did overheat the trans on the way home as it left a puddle in my driveway. At least I hope that's the problem and I don't have to take it back to that stupid tranny shop. It didn't start leaking until lots of stop lights in a row, and having to sit on Vrooman hill for one of the lights (which is REALLY steep). I'm thinking it will be OK.

I'm hoping 32V posts a video or two on youtube.

-BP
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

So I've been having an annoying belt squeal from time to time, usually close to after startup. Well, today it moved from annoyance to failure, twice. First round, I handily beat the Mustang I had to race. I was the faster car and caught him by prob 200' mark. Got down by the return road and temp gauge was HOT. I got it back up to the top end, the track folks found my belt, and I hurried to get it put back on.

So, I line up for round 2 against a stock Explorer dialed in at 16.20 to my 12.60. Beat her by .05 on the tree (.27 v .22), ran her down, passed, lifted in the traps. But the track's timers didnt get anything after 1000', so they were going to re-run us. But the belt came off, again. After that, I decided it wasn't worth risking my engine and I forfeited the re-run. Don't remember ever having to do that before.

On the drive home, it pitched the belt again a third time, only 5-10 miles from the track. I called Autozone and paid for a couple belts (and a beverage!), my dad picked it up and brought it out to me. Got it installed in a few minutes and on my way home. Only heard 1 or 2 minor squeals from the new belt. There is a 2nd belt that will now stay in the trunk for the short term.

But it was still a GREAT day -- I ran a personal best, twice. 2nd pass I went 12.53 @ 107, and later I went 12.49 @ 108!
Traction was really good today, and I was mostly in the mid 1.7x range, with a best of 1.70. These were the kind of launches I've been waiting for! This is all through the mufflers, too.

Had another first today as well -- was lined up with the TubStang for a time run. We had been talking about how sticky the track was. Well, I tried getting in the converter as hard as I could, and I ended up pushing through the beams and redlighting basically before the first amber came on. Reaction time was listed as "LB3A". Heh..

12.49@ 108: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8hg076dRFI

-Dave
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

First video are time runs by 'Smoke followed by BP.

[youtube] http://youtu.be/Pbno5thueJg[/youtube]

Here is BP winning again.

[youtube] http://youtu.be/Ys7aumbl0AE [/youtube]

I should have used my tripod.
Fred32v
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

That's awesome, because that's my 12.49 pass!

:-)

-Dave
Blue_69_malibu

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

Dave texted me some of his results from TRP....which I thought were very impressive. But he didn't tell me that he was running through the exhaust all day. Even more impressive....and more room for improvement as he keeps going lower in the 12s.

BP: Great trophy and awesome story. This is clearly your event!!