TRP

Information about upcoming races, swap meets & shows

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Fred32v

TRP

Post by Fred32v »

Great weather for a 55 degree night at TRP. The idea was to get BP a baseline on his new Hemi.
I never miss a chance to hit the strip.

ImageImageImage

I duplicated my best times without any special prep. 15.7's over 90 mph.
Lost in the second round of Truck by .025 seconds.

BP caught red in the second round, but that 14.49 over 95 sent him home happy.

Always fun at TRP!
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Basement Paul

Re: TRP

Post by Basement Paul »

Yeah, if my light comes green, I would have been hard on the brakes and wouldn't have had the .49, so to me, worth it.

Racing at the track, new truck, against my dad... good times!

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I'm going to try to head out to TRP tomorrow night to baseline the old Mustang. Hopefully the weather holds out as they're calling for PM rain showers.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Well, the PM showers showed up on time... but not before I blew through five time runs. Conditions were not ideal for good ET's. Temps were over 80 degrees, humidity was pretty high, and there was a pretty good cross wind as the storm was blowing in. After it was all said and done, my worst pass was a 13.12 with some pretty good wheelspin, and my best pass was a 13.0089 with a 1.83 60' time. MPH ranges from 103.35 to 104.77.
The car really needs to be shifted on the tach around 5300 before it's starts to lay over. On my 13.00 pass, if I would have shifted sooner, I would have gotten into the 12's as that was my worst mph and I know I over revved a little.

Right when the temps dropped off from the storm, I pulled up to make a pass, but they had already pulled the xmas tree down as the impending rain was unavoidable.

THEN, I got to drive a pro street car home in the rain. :shock: I don't recommend it. In the heavy rain, I just pulled over and waited so I didn't die. Then it sprinkled the rest of the time, and I was able to get up to probably 40mph a couple times. Yikes. I can be happy that the reliability seems good. I hot lapped, I drove in a rain storm, and heck, I even found out I have delay wipers that work!

I guess I was hoping for more, but considering I haven't really done any tuning, and the weather sucked, I'm reasonably satisfied. I'll start doing some tuning to see if I can get a little more timing into it, check to make sure the throttle is opening all the way, and start checking spark plugs to see if I can fatten up the mixture at all. I'm thinking by fall if it all stays together, I can see a 12.5 in my future. Really I'd like to see a 12.4x to make this my fastest car I've owned. With those big tires, it should be.

On my 13.00 pass, I did get to stick it to a newer 392 Hemi Challenger. That makes me feel good at least.

-BP
Blue_69_malibu

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

BP: I just assumed TRP got rained out on Wednesday. Glad I was wrong....sort of.

There's nothing shabby about grabbing a 13.0 with your MPH the first time out. You haven't really tuned it at all and you've just begun to enjoy/drive the car. It will make for a fun Summer.....when you and Joe Dirt aren't racing your Hemis. 8)
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Back to TRP June 3rd, to get some action shots of BP’s 1982 Mustang.
The temperature was around 70 degrees with a stiff head wind.
After some re-tuning at the strip, BP was running 12.80’s over 103 mph.
I had Big Red there just for fun, all my runs were made in drive.

Burnout………………......…...........…GMC Big Block……………...……….Right front in the air………....……Another 2nd place
ImageImageImageImage

That GMC (great truck, lousy picture) belongs to GMJohnny’s friend Randy.
Notice on BP’s launch picture, BP is dialed 12.87 and the other car is 12.90.
BP is giving .03 seconds. With the green light showing,
BP already has his yellow out while the other car has not yet cleared the beam.
Also, if you look really close, I think the right front is in the air.
The left rear tire has moved in the rim. BP was out in the second round,
the Mustang was on its’ numbers, but BP’s really good start wasn’t quite good enough.
There is still more in that car and after a full night of racing he drove it home!

Now the sad story, there were 17 trucks in my class. The 5th round was the Final.
My -.04 RED was too good and I had to settle for 2nd place again.

As always, TRP is serious fun!
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Unfortunately, my best was only a 12.90 but was over 104mph a few times. Like he said, I drove it there, made a bunch of passes, and went home all in one piece. I'm still up in the air over whether I'm going to sell it or not, but in the meantime, I at least know it's mechanically sound and should take me wherever I feel like going without too much trouble.

It does look pretty cool launching too....

It was also really cool watching 32v run for the trophy. At least one of us got some hardware!

-BP
Blue_69_malibu

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

Congrats to you both. Looks like it was a fun night. Much better than working late and cutting my lawn. :roll:

BP: If you're enjoying the car, I'd keep it for a bit longer. You've done all the hard work. Might as well enjoy the fruits of your labor a bit.

I would imagine that the more time slips you have and the faster the car goes, the more appeal it will have to the Pro Street "crowd".

It's still a car with a carburetor sitting atop it's intake that has only been to TRP twice....and doesn't have a lot of street time. There's more in the car I would imagine.

Don't forget: you still have three free dyno pulls that you won two summers ago. :mrgreen:
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

The thing about it, is that I do think it's pretty cool, but in the same breath, I really wouldn't miss it at all. That's pretty much telling me to sell it. I'd rather have my S-10 be fast, and have some cash in my pocket and space in my garage. I'm not going to give it away either...

-BP