TDR - Wednesday 07/16/2014

Information about upcoming races, swap meets & shows

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Blue_69_malibu

TDR - Wednesday 07/16/2014

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

In case anyone is interested, TireSmoker, Basement Paul, and myself are going to head out to the Thunder Capital this week. Please feel free to join us if your schedule/interest level permits.

Wednesday's forecast is surprisingly ideal, if the rain holds off: High of "only" 68-70 with a low of 57 degress or so. Not to shabby for July, IMHO.

Hopefully, we'll have some good timeslips and stories to share.

-T
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Re: TDR - Wednesday 07/16/2014

Post by TireSmoker »

I'm looking forward to this! But what to race? Cobalt? Bike? Corvette maybe? Good problem to have.. :-)

-Dave
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I'm going to take the newer Mustang. The weather looks sketchy for now, but if it holds, the temps should be in the 60's by race time. I'm going with high 14.2's since I'm not taking anything out of the car.

Be there or be square.

-BP
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

It was a very successful outing tonight for Team Tiresmoke. Paul had his '12 Mustang, I had my Cobalt, and Tony brought his Chevelle, sporting a new posi rearend. We all got there early enough that I think everyone got three time runs. We all ran Stock class and managed to avoid running each other.

I had shifting and traction issues throughout the night, but managed to put down a best ET of 14.12 and a best MPH of 102.3. Tony was the first to go out, but it was the 3rd round when he finally got beat by a slightly warmed up GN. I lost to the same guy in the 4th round when I missed my 1-2 shift, resulting in a 14.50 on a 14.20 dial-in. It was a shame, because I had an .04 r/t, compared to the GN's .14. Had I won my 4th round race, I would've been in the final 3 cars with a 50/50 shot at the bye-run into the final since Paul had already had one. Paul ended up beating him in The Final when the GN broke out.

This was my best outing in years and it was really fun. I had three time runs, and four runs in eliminations, which I was really happy with.

Tony ran his best ETs ever. He's still learning his car but progressed from a first pass of 14.3x or 14.4x down to a personal best of 13.68, all around 101mph.

-Dave
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

That 13.68 is pretty impressive! Those are the numbers the Vette was running when stock.
Nice!!!

GM
Blue_69_malibu

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

Thanks John. I was hoping for 13.50s but I didn't quite make it. But...it was my first time out this year, let alone with my new rear-end. Relative to Dave or Paul, I simply haven't raced that much and my launching technique leaves something to be desired.

It was a very good evening indeed. I got seven runs in...and had several ice cold Pepsis. Hanging with BP and TireSmoker always makes for a fun/amusing time.

So, regarding the Gran National that Dave mentioned, he took me out in round number three...by only .04 seconds. I ran closer to my dial but he got me by a full tenth on the tree. (No real surprise there, huh?)

Dave drew him in the next round and was yet another Gran National "victim". The Lynn Drive contingency was done for the evening. All hope for victory rested with Woodside North.

So, the original field of 36 was trimmed down to two: the aforementioned Gran National and BP's kick-ass, nearly stock V6 Mustang. Looking to avenge his fallen comrades/home boys, BP shut that Gran National down and took home yet another trophy. I don't think he even broke a sweat. 8)

Since I can't resist the urge to analyze things on paper, I listed out my ET, MPH, and 60 foot times from last night. The latter still aren't very good but that could very well be driver/operator technique. I also have a small bog in my carb early on that I haven't tuned out yet. I think I'm running rich so I'm going to drop the Primaries two or three sizes and see what happens. I have a "bung" hole installed in my passenger header but do not own an Oxygen sensor. If only I could borrow one for an evening or weekend. :wink:
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

We did have a really fun time. The Mustang's best was a 14.21 at 99.x mph. Me and this car get along great at the track. I was dialed anywhere from 14.2 to 14.25, but I really won all my races on the tree. My lights were all between .07 and .03. In the stock class, there's not too many ringers. My biggest challenge was the '68 Cutlass dialed at 13.31. I've raced this guy in the finals of the Ford vs. GM race in my Trans Am a couple years ago. My .05 to his .1 sealed his fate. The GN in the finals was dialed 13.73 to my 14.25. He was ahead of my by half track... My .03 light to his .16. He had me covered by over a car length so as soon as he hit the finish line I hit my brakes fearing a double break out. He was .3 under his dial, and I ran a 14.29.

I have never won the stock class because I normally run Animal. This is also my first time out this year so I'm really happy Tony & Dave gave me a reason to go out. I've been busy working on the Tubstang and trying to maintain focus on that. It was cool to see Tony's car running so well, and a cold day with a little traction compound will get the 13.50 he's looking for.

Tony, I would get a bigger primary squirter. I think a bog is not enough fuel, instead of too much. I'm guessing that carb has a 20cc pump on the front and I'd go to a 30cc and maybe give it one or two sizes bigger in the primaries. I think your secondary set up is good since your MPH is so good.

Dave was struggling with the 1-2 shift, but 102mph in the 1/4 is awesome. Especially out of a bone stock (even the air filter is paper) 4 cylinder... turbo be damned.

Hopefully we can do it again soon.

-BP
Blue_69_malibu

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMKxD_OFuCA

Well, just like BP mentioned, this guy thinks I'm not getting enough fuel down low in the RPM range either.

I haven't tried to change jets yet...but that's probably not where I'll find my answer/ideal tune. It appears I need to revisit my squirter and my accelerator pump.

After my first time at TDR/TRP last year with TireSmoker, I couldn't even spin my tires at all. I had 2.36 60 foot times and NO tire spin. I upgraded to a 35 squirter and it really seemed to wake up. (All of a sudden, I couldn't hook up.) I think a 37 or bigger squirter may be in order. I also may have to look at the hollow screws.

And, as BP suggested, I need to do some research/udgrading on my accelerator pump. This appears to be a very good starting point to removing my bog off the line.

Onward and upward........
Blue_69_malibu

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

Turns out the #37 Squirter was already in the carb....so I ordered a number 40 from Summit this a.m. Once you go to a #40 or larger squirter, the "screws" become hollow for additional fuel flow. Hoping this does the trick!
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Is this a Holley carb and if so do you have the largest plastic cam in there?
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Fred32v

Re: TDR - Wednesday 09/17/14

Post by Fred32v »

Ok, mid-September 50 degrees. Smoke, BP, and I went to watch Tony's Chevelle run.
And run it did, Tony went 13.6.... at 102, Smoke put it into the low 50's.
Tony went home with a big smile and many winter projects for the '69.

BP and I................................Smoke's Dad's Car.........................Tony's '69

ImageImageImage

Paul's Ride................................A Black STS-V....................Second Place Trophy
ImageImageImage

I talked to the STS-V owner, he said he bought it because he saw mine make a pass on DragTimes.com.
I did get the second place trophy in Truck Eliminator after two rounds, a by run, and the sleepy final.

As always, TRP is great fun!
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Blue_69_malibu

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

Fred32V forget to mention that in one of his runs, he had to run another truck down....and he did....successfully.

I've been to TRP twice this year. Each time, a Cossick has left with a trophy. The family can just plain race!

Kudos to Dave for his 13.51 in my car. (I'm still grinning this morning, BTW.) :mrgreen:

Since hindsight is 20/20....and had I known Dave was going to run a 13.51....I probably should have pulled the cooler full of Pepsi out of my car....and not had 3/8 of a tank of gas. Likewise, Paul's idea to uncork my headers probably should have been headed....but what can you do? A best ET is still a best ET.

A wonderful evening with a rock solid group of guys. Can't wait to do it again.

p.s. - If given the opportunity, pass on the Big Boy Burger at TRP. :?
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

It's always a fun night at the drag strip! I took my dad's '95 Mustang. 5.0/auto with highway gearing. It'll run down the freeway doing 2000 rpm @ 80mph. My first pass was the best, 15.99 @ 88 mph. But it just got slower every pass, running 16.39 @ 87 on my last pass. 60ft were in the 2.3-2.4 range with no tire-spin. Probably one of the most un-satisfying cars I've ever drag raced.

I didn't take the Cobalt for 2 reasons -- 1) The Mustang is going to Florida soon and I wanted to see what it could do. My parents bought a condo in Naples, FL recently and they are gonna keep it down there. 2) I wanted to race an automatic since I had some shifting issues the past couple times I raced the Cobalt.

On the upside, I made 5 total passes and never lit the red-light. My first round elimination in the Mustang, I cut a .02! It was a real treat running Tony's car down the track too, reminding me very much of my own car. Cutting an .05 light with it was icing on the cake.

The low point of the night was definitely the burger. I've eaten my share of them over the years, and last night's was the worst.

-Dave
Blue_69_malibu

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

[quote=The low point of the night was definitely the burger. I've eaten my share of them over the years, and last night's was the worst.

-Dave[/quote]

The only ones that may have been worse were the Shively burgers we were served at O.U. I'm not sure what grade "beef" they were....but it had to be at the bottom of the scale.