My Oldsmobile Search

This is the first forum. We'll figure out if we want more.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

GMJohnny

My Oldsmobile Search

Post by GMJohnny »

I think I mentioned in the truck post that I'm searching out an old Oldsmobile. I have a pretty select few Olds' that
I'd want to own. They are Cutlass body style range 1964 - 1967, 1969 - 1972 (convertible only), with max budget of
$25k. I'm trying to find something pretty clean as I learned something pretty cool about the truck -- not rusty is good!
I've checked out a million car ads and there really aren't a ton of these cars available. I had a potential convertible
that Walt and Maverick were willing to help me look at, but a short talk with Walt who had talked to the owner and
an owner that took four days to get back to me put a hose to that fire. I went to look at this car:
https://www.sunnysideclassics.com/oldsmobile-442 and the dealership ruffled my feathers by telling me my truck
was only worth $7,000. I had brother Andy in Nashville and he went to a dealership that I had called to try to set up
an afterhours sale with and to get some pics of the underside of the car,(both of which only got me a definite maybe which
led to nothing) only to find them closed during business hours: http://nashvillespeedshop.com/7476129/P ... tails.aspx.
Tim came to town so Fred, Tim and I met Tony on the west side to look at a convertible that wasn't that hot and "ran bad because
of carburation".... not really, the cylinder heads weren't a matched set and the compression was .25 lbs higher in one head
(unbeknownst to the owner). So that's the summary up to now. But there's a fish on the hook in Vassar, Mi. now! I'm praying
that this one becomes reality... http://www.cars-on-line.com/gen3-cars/c ... ting/90876 ... frame off restoration 4 speed car with tri power with manual brakes and steering. If all goes well, we will go see this one early next week. I hadn't posted on this and figured I'd start off a running total so those of you who have gotten bits and pieces of the story could be informed. Feel free to shoot me any links to cars that might fit the bill if you see them!

GM
wxo

Re: My Oldsmobile Search

Post by wxo »

That red one is gorgeous! Go get it.
Blue_69_malibu

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

John: that red 442 is....GORGEOUS.

If you have to go down to MS to pick it up, maybe check out some goose or ducking in MS, MO or Arkansas.....or wherever down south. Could be the trip of a lifetime!

Then again, the hurricane(s) probably disrupted things a bit....but you've got to dream.
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

So here's the update on the red one. It's in Vassar, Mi. which is about 300 miles from Geauga Co.
I contacted the owner and I was supposed to go see it today, but he's having some health issues and
has some doctor appointments that are keeping us from meeting up. He did promise me that he
wouldn't sell it to anybody else without me getting first dibbs on it, so I just have to be patient and
wait a bit. I am supposed to call him on Sunday this week to possibly set up a next Wednesday meeting.

GM
Blue_69_malibu

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

Hah.....my tired eyes thought the car was in MS, no MI. My bad!

Good luck regardless!
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

Fingers crossed here for sure!!!

GM
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

I could be the fastest on TireSmoke with this baby:

https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto ... 27469.html

GM
Blue_69_malibu

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

Nice!!

Trouble is, no matter what you run, Dave or Paul will eventually catch you. It's what they do. :D
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

It's a cool looking car, but I'm going to call bullshit on his 8.2 @ 163 claim. The car has no roll bar, 789HP is not enough to power a 3700lb car that fast, he doesn't show a picture of the engine, and since you won't be buying it, I don't feel bad saying bad things about it.

-BP
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

I'm not really interested in running 8's. It's not on the bucket list, but those who can
( for real ) are cool.

GM
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Maverick
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

Maverick,

I have two problems. 1) I like almost all Oldsmobiles. 2) I'm not Jay Leno, so I can't afford ALL of them!
I love the Starfires and 98's as well, but am focusing on Cutlass' of the mid sixties, because, when I really
wanted one when I graduated from college, I bought a full size ( Dynamic 88 ) because I found one cheap
and in great shape and it fit the bill. I've never owned a mid 60's Cutlass or 442 and ( because I'm not Jay
Leno ) have to focus on that for now. Because I don't have a toy car in my barn, I've found myself saying
"that one would work" to other cars, but I'm forcing myself to focus on just that style... at least for now.

GM
Blue_69_malibu

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

John: is a 68-72 Cutlass still a possibility for you?
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

Tony,

If I went for a late 60's / early 70's model, it would have to be a convertible. I'm not much
of a fan of the fastback look on these cars, but the convertible top does away with that.
I particularly like the way the front looks on a 1969. These cars are on the "interesting" list.
https://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/d/ ... 08004.html
https://spacecoast.craigslist.org/cto/d ... 13813.html

With this body style, I am more picky about color and options... Center console and
bucket seats would be a must if I went to this style, and a 455 would also help.

GM
Blue_69_malibu

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

Those are both great looking cars, John.....and a convertible would be a lot of fun.

Buddy of mine had a 1969 Cutlass S back in high school, a year before I bought my blue '69 Malibu. Red with black vinyl top and black interior. Great looking car.

But what can I say? I love the 68-72 A-Bodies. The Pontiacs have some unusual front ends that you either love or hate.....but I really like that platform overall.