Quickest Cars on Tiresmoke

This is the first forum. We'll figure out if we want more.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

wxo

Re: Quickest Cars on Tiresmoke

Post by wxo »

Blue_69_malibu wrote:Well....I thought it might be time for an update. Car's been running very nice save for an idle issue with the 770 Street Avenger.
Hey Tony,
Install a wideband O2 sensor in your exhaust, drive down to Raleigh and Maverick and I will smooth out that idle for you. We have seen a lot of success with carb tuning lately. :mrgreen:
Blue_69_malibu

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

Thanks Walt!

Actually, Paul and I tried tuning it when we installed the motor....and had ZERO luck. But it ran well and pulled hard. I had already scheduled a dyno session for the following week, so I didn't feel like pursuing it all that much.

Even after an all day dyno session with really good results, the professional tuner couldn't get the carb to idle properly. Something just appears off or broken on/with the Idle Circuit.

I actually have a return authorization from Summit. But I'm leaning towards ditching the 770 Street Avenger for a 750 3310 Vacuum Secondary Carb. My 670 Street Avenger ran and idled perfectly on my 350. I tried a 770 Street Avenger on the old motor and it never really ran well. I'm inclined to move in another direction.

I was actually in Jacksonville, NC (Camp Lejeune) this past weekend. I did not enlist, though.
wxo

Post by wxo »

OK, then, Tony. Don't say we didn't offer. :mrgreen:
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

But I'm leaning towards ditching the 770 Street Avenger for a 750 3310 Vacuum Secondary Carb.
I'm on my second 3310 vacuum secondary carb on the 383 and having very similar issues with idle. I'm wishing I had a QuickFuel 750 like is on the 521 Lincoln. Not wishing you any bad luck but I'm feeling a little less incompetent when I hear that a pro with a dyno didn't solve it quickly.

The QF has replaceable idle and main air bleeds and replaceable power valve restrictions. The 521 is running SWEET after we worked on all that stuff. Had it out a couple of days ago and enjoyed driving it a lot.

If I had the QF, I'd be replacing the idle air bleeds.

Doesn't it make you want an aftermarket EFI? If I were looking at buying another carb, I'd also be looking at EFI.
Maverick
Blue_69_malibu

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

[quote=" Not wishing you any bad luck but I'm feeling a little less incompetent when I hear that a pro with a dyno didn't solve it quickly.[/quote]

https://www.smicarburetor.com/products/ ... oductID/56

This carb is also on the table....although a little spendy.

There's very little the Tuner can do to these carbs when they idle like this, unfortunately. The same professional tuner produced an AFR curve with my old 670 Street Avenger on my 350 that was dead nuts flat......flatter than even Dave's perfectly tuned EFI 383 that was on his dyno a few months prior. He's just as stumped on my 770 as Paul and I....so there is no happy ending there for me.

It's a weird situation: car drives great, runs strong, pulls like a freight train, yet it will not idle remotely well. Which is funny b/c when you think of it, idle should be the easiest part of the carb tuning process to get right. Oh well.........
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I updated Tony and my times, but didn't have 32v's 1/8 mile times so I didn't update that one.

-BP
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

I posted my best numbers for "OH YEAH". :D
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I was just thinking you road race guys should post your best laps at different tracks and in what cars you did it in...

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

There's a few guys that look like they need to update their times, and a couple cars missing from the list. I know GM Johnny has two new cars on the current list, and I think Dave's Blazer time is way better now.

-BP
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Updated the Blazer's time.

-Dave
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I updated the S-10 times, and there are a few 'Smokers times missing on this. What was interesting to me, is that my old best time of 11.94 had an IDENTICAL 1/8mile time AND MPH, with a slightly quicker 60'. I'm making it all up on the big end with more than 2mph faster at the stripe. I can't wait for a cold weather pass (as noted early by Tony).

-BP
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

I just updated my entry in the current ride list, don't think I'll catch the V-Caddy's numbers,
I do expect to improve on the Jimmy's statistics.

Fred32v - 2018 GMC Canyon 14.64 @ 94.21 2.21676 60' (1/8th 9.4556, 74.89 mph) - Street

Definitely a fun list.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Updated the Golf and 442.

-BP
Racin'Jacin

Post by Racin'Jacin »

Had the digger out once this year @ 42. I left REAL easy (I planned to but the plan wasn't to go THIS easy) anyways I was a bit nervous since last year I bent the frame on a hard landing - this blower motor is MUCH harder to launch) anyways with my all time WORST 60' of 1.7 I went 9.15 @ 156mph. Had I just gone a 1.3 which I did often with the injected motor it could have been an 8.75 pass...shoulda...coulda...woulda, but didn't because of driver error. Maybe next year.

Jacin
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

TRP is running Saturdays in November, so there's still time to get that elusive 8 second pass. They're usually pretty good about prepping the track on those days too as there are some pretty quick cars that show up to test.

I updated your time on the list.

-BP